Moona's Munchies - Bucket O' Goodness
Dump good healthy stuff into a clean ice cream pail and shake it all up.
- Fill 1/3 of the bucket with unsweetened coconut chips.
- Add whatever nuts and seeds you like and/or currently have on-hand.
I don't really care for the flavor of raw nuts and seeds on their own, so I put both raw and toasted nuts and seeds of each kind in the mix. It usually is something like this: pepitas (shelled pumpkin seeds), sunflower seeds, almonds, cashews, pecans, walnuts, macadamia nuts - whatever strikes my fancy. This should make the level of the munchie bucket 1/2 - 2/3 full.
- Then drop in some dried fruits, making your bucket's level 2/3 - 3/4.
I regularly use organic raisins; then dice some dried mango, papaya and apricots (unsulfurized). Dried cranberries or cherries would add some nice zing.
- Cover and shake until you just can't shake anymore.
- If there's room, add more coconut chips* until the bucket is full. Cover and shake until mixed thoroughly.
*Note: Other additions which are tasty, but not necessarily ideal (grains = sugar), would be organic corn flakes or puffed brown rice cereal. Sometimes I really have some insistent chocolate cravings. So on those days, I add a handful of fair-traded organic chocolate chips to the bucket. Bad Moona!)
That's it! Put in your cabinet. Any time you are hungry and want a snack, open that bucket and make a better Small Choice than you otherwise would have. It's a good idea to put some mix in a snack-sized bowl. A full Bucket O' Goodness on your lap as you're watching a movie would probably not be prudent.